Towards the end of the 18th century the property later known as Castle Tenison, together with its surrounding estate, belonged to the Dundas family. They sold it in 1715 to Richard Tenison, of the English Tenison family, who was the son of the Bishop of Meath and MP for Dunleer.
For more than 300 years, this 40-acre estate remained in the Tenison family, before falling into disrepair in their absence. In 2006, it was lovingly brought back to life by passionate Irish father and son, Alan and Albert Hanly. It is currently a four-star luxury hotel with a spa and leisure centre.